Turkey, Worldview Explorations™
Weaving History and Mysticism
September 12-24, 2014 $4,779
Join Cross Cultural Journeys and the Institute of Noetic Sciences on an amazing, educational journey that uses the ideas and approaches of the IONS Worldview Explorations™ program to frame travelers’ encounters with the Turkish culture. Turkey is a unique country on two continents, Asia and Europe, making her a bridge connecting East to West, traditional and modern. Turkey is the cradle of many civilizations including the Hittites, Phrygians, Lydians, Greeks, Romans, Byzantines and the Turks. The land has been the melting pot for numerous traditions, many of them mystical.
Throughout Turkish history, there has been a reverence for the feminine expressed in the form of various goddesses. Starting from 10,000 B.C., the earth resonated with feminine energies from the goddesses who were known as Kybele, Kubaba, Ma, Artemis and Diana. On this trip, we visit two of the most important feminine temples: the Temple of Artemis in Sardis, and in Ephesus, the temple of Diana (Artemis). We will take time at the site of each of these temples, and various other sites we visit, for contemplation and optional meditation, and discussion. There will be many opportunities for experiencing some of these mystical traditions first hand. The current inhabitants of this land are the Turks, emerging from Central Asia and establishing the deeply moving tradition of Whirling Dervishes. We will witness a Whirling Dervish ritual, performed by men and women together, which is unusual. Afterwards there will be an opportunity to talk with the dervishes and ask questions.
On this tour of Turkey, we will mainly explore the history of the land while focusing on the following:
- The ancient Goddess temples in Turkey
- The Cosmic Dance of the Whirling Dervishes
- The Shamanic ritual dances of the traditional Alevite Moslems
- The Moslem mystics who focus on dream interpretation
- Visit an Alevite Moslem Temple where men and women perform a ritual round dance in the name of God. After the Master will welcome questions.
- Experience Turkish Music and Movement Therapy for healing, and the shamanic Bakshi Dance.
- On one of the nights in the countryside we will gather for a dream interpretation session.
- Visit the oldest known and recently discovered open air sanctuary of the ancient world, Göbeklitepe, pre-dating Stonehenge by 6,000 years
- Visit Cappadocia where early Christians worshipped and were forced to hide from Roman persecution underground
If you would like to sign up for this journey, or if you would like to request more information, please call (800) 353-2276 or (415) 332-0682, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.